Historical Background

The hospital which is now referred to as Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Makurdi started in 1927 as a small railway clinic to offer first aid treatment to railway workers. It was subsequently taken over by the Catholic Mission in 1940 as a dispensary. The defunct Government of Benue Plateau State acquired it in 1967 as a General Hospital. In its desire to enable every state in the country access tertiary healthcare, the Federal Government of Nigeria acquired it in 1995 as “Federal Medical Centre.” It is a 400 bed hospital. At takeover by the Federal Government in 1995, it was operating on three (3) sites within Makurdi metropolis viz; Mission Ward (Main Centre), Psychiatric Unit (by the River Bank) and the Dento-Ophthalmic Complex (DOC) by Aper Aku Stadium. In line with the vision of National Strategic Health Development Plan (NSHDP, 2011-2015) and with approval of Board of Management, an Outstation Centre was established in each of the three (3) senatorial zones. The hospital also took over the Federal Staff Clinic located at the Federal Secretariat in 2010 as was directed by the Federal Government. In 2011, because of the increasing workload and lack of space for expansion at the Mission Ward following the acquisition of a reasonable part of the hospital by PEPFAR and APIN for HIV/Aids Program, some services were relocated to the permanent site at Apir which is about 12km from the main hospital.

Currently, the hospital is operating on 8 sites viz:
  • Mission Wards (60% of the Hospital)
  • NHIS at the Riverside
  • Dental and Psychiatric Complex (DPC) adjacent to the stadium
  • Permanent Site at Apir
  • Federal Secretariat
  • Tongo Outstation Centre (about 200km from Makurdi)
  • Efekwo Outstation Centre (about 200km from Makurdi)
  • Ikpa, Mbatierev Outstation Centre (about 80km from Makurdi)